Our friend Ameer Jumabhoy (you can read his excellent blog via ajpolo.wordpress.com is in Malaysia for the Zone D FIP playoffs. He writes that the first matches were heart-stopping, with India defeating Australia 5.5 to 5 and Malaysia defeating New Zealand 9 -8.
Tomorrow, Pakistan faces Nigeria.
The complete schedule is below. The top three teams will qualify for the World Cup. I know we say it all the time but, really, we can’t wait!
TOURNAMENT DRAW & FIXTURES
The tournament draw for zones and fixtures of play for the group stages was done at the Sponsors Launch on 20th April 2011.
- The Seven countries entered are:
- 1 South Africa
- 2 New Zealand
- 3 Australia
- 4 India
- 5 Pakistan
- 6 Nigeria
- 7 Malaysia
- Teams were drawn into 3 zones of 2, 2 and 3 teams.
- Zone 1
Team A Australia
Team B Malaysia
- Zone 2
Team C New Zealand
Team D India
- Zone 3
Team E South Africa
Team F Pakistan
Team G Nigeria
- The first part of the tournament will be played at the Royal Pahang Polo Club in Pekan, Pahang.
- Monday 13th June
Team E South Africa vs Team G Nigeria
- Match schedule
- Tuesday 14th June
Team A Australia vs Team D India
Team C New Zealand vs Team B Malaysia
- Wednesday 15th June
Team F Pakistan vs Team G Nigeria
- Friday 17th June
Team B Malaysia vs Team D India
Team A Australia vs Team C New Zealand
- Saturday 18th June
Team E South Africa vs Team F Pakistan
- After these matches, the top four teams will go to the semi-finals, while the bottom three teams will play in a round robin to decide 5th to 7th placings.
- The Round Robin for 5th / 6th /7th will be played on Monday 20th June.
- The Semi-Finals will be played on Tuesday 21st June.
- The tournament will then move to the Royal Selangor Polo Club in Kuala Lumpur.
- The 3rd / 4th Place Match will be played on Friday 24th June. This will decide the third team to represent Zone D at the FIP Polo World Cup Finals.
- The Final will be played on Saturday 25th June. The winner will lift the Malaysia Cup.